Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tofu kale salad with spicy peanut dressing

Oh, kale.
My tastebuds you never fail.
Your curly leaves are a deep emerald green;
eating you makes me feel oh, so lean.
You're intensely high in nutritional value;
good for the health you are - this is true.
It's no surprise you're one of my favorite veggies;
another serving, if you please!
tofu kale salad with spicy peanut dressing
My infatuation with kale commenced at my favorite café ages ago, where I fell head over heels for their renowned kale salad tossed in an unforgettable peanut dressing that did wonders for the tastebuds; it was simple, yet truly extraordinary. Unfortunately, I no longer live a short drive away from the oft-frequented joint. Fortunately, I've been experimenting at home to recreate a rendition of the salad. I threw in tofu as a protein fix (and because I plain love tofu), and thinly curled carrots for versatility and a brilliant pop of color. tofu kale salad with spicy peanut dressing
I have always been fond of peanutty sauces; there's something about the smooth, creamy, nutty flavor that really adds pizzazz to a dish. If you've never sampled kale, I daresay you shall be a veritable fan after attempting this recipe. It might even be your most favored way to eat kale. It sure is mine.

Tofu Kale Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing (inspired by M Café and adapted from here)
tofu kale salad with spicy peanut dressing Ingredients:
2 bunches kale
Firm tofu (I used the organic sprouted kind)
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 carrot
3 tbsp chunky peanut butter (I used organic unsalted chunky peanut butter)
3 tbsp honey
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce (I used the reduced sodium version)
Dash garlic salt
Dash crushed red pepper (or more, depending on how spicy you like your dressing)
Unsalted raw almonds, chopped (optional)

Directions:
1. Rip kale leaves off their stalks into bite-sized pieces. Rinse of any remaining dirt.
2. Blanch kale leaves in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain kale and rinse with cold water to keep the kale beautifully green. Drain as much water out as possible. Place in a bowl.
3. Cut tofu into small slices with 1/4" thickness. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add tofu slices. Sprinkle tofu slices with paprika. Once tofu gets lightly browned, flip each slice. Sprinkle with paprika. Once tofu is lightly browned on both sides, remove from heat. Set aside.
4. Create thin carrot slices by creating curls with a peeler. Set aside.
5. Place a few unsalted raw almonds in a ziploc baggie. Crush into small pieces with a spoon. Set aside.
6. In a small bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic salt, and crushed red pepper. Mix sauce thoroughly.
7. Toss kale with peanut dressing. Top with carrot slices, fried tofu slices, and crushed almonds. Drizzle with even more peanut dressing deliciousness if you so desire. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This poem and ode to kale me smile big time. I love kale too! Can't wait to try the yummy recipe. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen forced me to eat this when I was asleep because she was so excited! I tasted peanut sauce with kale along with my drool. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!