Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sauteed zucchini with parmesan

Having to mosey over to the grocery store for the same produce every week makes me wish we had a garden teeming with organic, homegrown tasties that we can pluck anytime we want fresh produce. The Mister wouldn't mind either, because we spent thirty agonizing minutes in line at the store this weekend past. Mind you, I have never planted or cultivated anything in my life. Actually, I had a fern once, but it died within a week. Poor fern. But now is not then, and perhaps sometime in the near future, I'll learn to plant seeds that actually turn into veggies and fruit.

The culprits behind this hankering? Fresh garden-grown summer squash gifted by a cordial coworker who often spins wondrous tales revolving around his bounteous garden. garden-fresh zucchini
summer squash in vintage egg basket
I was beyond excited when he bequeathed unto me these zucchini beauties because squash is my second most favorite vegetable, after spinach. peeping squash
Not merely a singular variety of zucchini squash, but three: romanesco, black beauty, and round.romanesco and black beauty zucchini
black beauty zucchini
round zucchini
So of course, we gobbled them up right away. I haven't sampled zucchini in a dish I didn't like, and I used some round zucchini for a butternut squash zucchini whole-wheat pizza the other evening that was savory sweet and thoroughly swell. Most of the time, though, we like to keep it simple around here, and sauteed zucchini is the way to go for us as a yummy veggie side dish, which we ate with this. Zucchini is already naturally sweet and full of moisture, so not much needs to be done to elicit its full flavor.
sauteed zucchini
I sincerely want to learn how to garden, even if we dwell in a humble apartment with no soil around to sow some seeds. How do those over-the-balcony gardens work? Any advice would be much appreciated. Then, maybe, we can have summer squash all summer long! sauteed squash with fresh parmesan
Sauteed Zucchini with Parmesan
Ingredients:
3 zucchini
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
Fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
Freshly ground pepper

Directions:
1. Peel zucchini alternately of its skin to create stripes. Cut zucchini diagonally into 1/2" slices.
2. In a saute pan over medium heat, brown minced garlic and shallot slices in extra virgin olive oil. Add zucchini and saute until zucchini release their juices and turns slightly brown (similar to grill marks) on both sides, about 4 minutes.
3. Sprinkle with pepper. Remove from heat, sprinkle liberally with fresh Parmesan, and serve immediately. A simple and yummy taste of summer!

1 comment:

  1. I don't like eating vegetables, but I love eating my wife's vegetables!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!