Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sauteed brussels sprouts with caramelized onions and shallots

sauteed brussels sprouts with onions and shallots
turkey meatloaf with brussels sprouts We are midway into the first week of October, which ought to serve as a precursor to crisp golden-toned leaves, brisk autumnal chill, and warmer wear, but I must say - we're still toasting in 100 degree Indian summer weather over here. As we await an authentic change in seasons, I attempted to inaugurate fall with foodie goodies that are more reminiscent of the season: nostalgic meatloaf accompanied by sauteed brussels sprouts. The husband requested meatloaf because "it's like eating a hamburger patty with tomato sauce" (and because it belongs to the diner food family), so I whipped up some turkey meatloaf from here. I don't particularly like meatloaf in general, but it was a hearty and healthy protein fix. However, I am nuts about brussels sprouts.  I love that they're hearty, earthy, and reminiscent of baby cabbages. Although they have a dismal reputation in the veggie world, they can be insanely tasty, especially when sauteed with caramelized onions and shallots into a satisfying crisp texture, and, of course, sprinkled with fresh Parmesan. In fact, we gobbled them all down, and our friend who had dinner with us that evening proclaimed that it is only in our household that he is able to eat vegetables. Score.brussels sprouts
turkey meatloaf
Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Onions and Shallots
Ingredients:
1 pkg fresh brussels sprouts (about 4 cups)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp water
Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 yellow onion, sliced into 1" strips
1 large shallot, sliced
Fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:
1. Slice each brussels sprout in half and chop off any protruding stems. Brown 1 tbsp garlic in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onion and shallot and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside in a large bowl.
2. Brown remaining tbsp garlic in 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in skillet. Add brussels sprouts and 2 tbsp water. Cook brussels sprouts until water dissolves and leaves are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, about 8 minutes. Sprouts should have a nice roasted coloring. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and toss with caramelized onions and shallots. Serve immediately (with a sprinkling of fresh Parmesan cheese).

6 comments:

  1. I need to try this. I am sad to say that I have never attempted any sort of recipe that involve brussel sprouts! In fact, I have always been to scared to even try them. But this looks divine!! Thanks for the recipe! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my scrumptious, thanks for the recipe :)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, your brussel sprouts look delicious!! I'm salivating. And hahah, I adore meatloaf as well - it's so comforting, though can be somewhat dense. Good in small servings!

    X i x i a ❥ thisisxixia.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, I've never wanted to eat brussels sprouts so much until I saw this post. Looks too yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic, and I love your blog! visit your sweet post and do comment my post , would be great to follow me back ! FOLLOW :) xx

    marcchanelette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You actually made brussel sprouts look yummy! Saving this to try at home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!