Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Slow cooker barbeque baby back ribs with sauteed green beans

ribs 1
One of the perks of cooler weather is unearthing the crock pot to concoct slow-cooked tastiness. I haven't used the crock pot too often, but I love what it yields every time I do. It is so genius and efficient to just plop a smattering of ingredients in there and let it cook the whole day while I am at work until it's amazingly fragrant and appetizing at dinnertime. One of my crock pot experiments was to make a Southern staple, baby back ribs. Though there remains plenty of locales I'd love to visit in our Southern counterparts, I've only been to Atlanta and Houston, and their barbeque was legit; barbeque at its finest here does not compare. While I am not the biggest proponent of meat, I do like baby back ribs, and the husband absolutely loves them. I was surprised at how simple it was to cook these restaurant-quality barbeque riblets - the meat was so tender that it melted in our mouths. I also used the onions and broth left over in the crock pot to saute crisp green beans into complementary veggie perfection. We ate them with fresh-baked cornbread drizzled with honey, and felt the Southern hospitality through and through. Now, all we have to do is make a jolly jaunt down to Charleston....perhaps one day!ribs 2
ribs 3
Slow Cooker Barbeque Baby Back Ribs with Sauteed Green Beans (ribs recipe adapted from here)
Ingredients:
3 lbs baby back ribs
Sea salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Shallot pepper to taste
1/2 cup water
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
3 tbsp garlic, minced
1 18 oz bottle barbeque sauce (I used Trader Joe's Kansas City BBQ Sauce)
4 servings fresh green beans, rinsed with ends pinched off
1/4 cup broth (left over from ribs in slow cooker)
Softened onions (left over from ribs in slow cooker)
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Lemon pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Season both sides of ribs with sea salt, pepper, and shallot pepper.
2. Pour water into slow cooker. Layer ribs into slow cooker. Top ribs with garlic and onions. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Transfer ribs onto a baking sheet. Place broth left in slow cooker into separate bowl. Place softened onions into separate bowl.
4. Coat ribs with barbeque sauce. Bake until sauce caramelizes and sticks to the meat, 10-15 minutes.
5. While ribs are cooking, heat extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown 1 tbsp garlic before adding green beans. Cook until slightly seared for about 3 minutes before adding 1/4 cup of broth. Continue to cook until green beans are slightly softened. Stir in softened onions and season with sea salt to taste, shallot pepper to taste, lemon pepper to taste, and freshly ground pepper to taste. Enjoy with freshly-baked cornbread or mashed cauliflower!

10 comments:

  1. I am so going to be trying this at some point this week. I love my crock pot and this looks delicious! Thank you for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to get out my crock pot and create some yummy feasts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up right at the Georgia state line and this meal takes me back to the good ol' southern days of my childhood! Honey on cornbread is my favorite! Also, thanks for sharing he BBQ rib recipe, I just got my crock pot out the other night and did BBQ pulled chicken in it, and my husband was asking when we could do BBQ ribs. yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so delicious. My husband loves southern food. The other day he told me he wanted corn bread. lol. I don't have a slow cooker though :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. *drool*
    im so trying this next week :D
    I've been married for 2 years and until this post i realized i had a slow cooker still in its box since my wedding day...!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, I am MAKING this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my mouth seriously watered. this looks so yummy and i'm not even a big fan of meat either. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am drooling! I will be trying this recipe out soon!

    Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!