Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Roasted kabocha squash

roasted kabocha squash 1
I am a big fan of squash - summer squash when the sun extends its stay, and winter squash when the chill sets in at this time of year. Squash is my second favorite veggie after spinach, and kabocha squash, a close relative of the pumpkin, has been an insanely tasty complement to our dinners of late. I love it roasted, which emits its natural sweetness. A friend who came over for dinner even asked if I used any sugar to flavor it! All I did was roast it with simple seasonings, and it tasted like candy - the healthiest, most marvelous candy, ever. Such a great snack for the following days, too!roasted kabocha squash 2
Roasted Kabocha Squash

Ingredients:
1 kabocha squash
Sea salt to taste
Shallot pepper to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Dried parsley to taste
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Soften kabocha squash in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Slice off the top and bottom, and cut in half vertically. Scoop out the seeds. With the flat sides down and using a heavy knife, cut squash into 1/2" slices, leaving the skin on.
2. Lay kabocha squash slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top and toss. Season with sea salt, shallot pepper, freshly ground pepper, and dried parsley. Toss to distribute spices.
3. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until tender. Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. sounds like an interesting combo of flavours, it sounds refreshing =) thanks for sharing that with us!
    love from the NANA girls xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove pumpkin, but squash is my least favourite. And butternut, cannot stand the taste.

    My mom makes these awesome pumpkin cakes and I can eat a million of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking to my husband about eating winter squash but had no idea how to even prepare it. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had squash believe it or not, but this makes me want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I love squash too and my current favourite is acorn squash because I love the shape of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have thought of roasting kabocha, my mom always puts it in a stew. Looks yummy + I'll have to share the recipe with her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love squash. never had kabocha squash though. will have to look for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful and looks amazing.
    what is shallot pepper?

    thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looooooove squash! And it is so easy to make! Cutting it up is the hardest. That's a beautiful picture-I want to go make some right now!

    xx
    Sophisticated Lace

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love squash too! Looks so good! Yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this looks like such a yummy recipe. I have to try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love squash (though we call them pumpkin here in Australia). Love them roasted or in a curry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, I've never had a kabocha squash - but if it tastes like candy I gotta try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum. I love squash! You are adorable! -following!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like squash as well. This looks healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!