Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Guacamole and baked tortilla chips

guacamole and chips
guacamole and chips
guacamole and chips
guacamole and chips
As I mentioned before, we were gifted a trove of homegrown lemons from sweet friends, and avocados have been on sale at the store, so it has been a no-brainer to whip up one of my favorite snacks: homemade tortilla chips with guacamole. I'm pretty confident I could eat guacamole every day. My grandparents had an avocado tree while I was growing up, and I would snack on the creamy fruit with a sprinkle of salt pretty often. The tree is long gone by now, and if we were ever blessed with a home that featured a backyard, I would advocate for an avocado tree. For now, store-bought avocados make a frequent appearance in our kitchen, usually in the form of these easy-to-make, so-good, and good-for-you homemade guacamole and chips. I prefer my guacamole pretty pure - just large chunks of avocado, a bit of red onion, a generous squeeze of lemon or lime, some garlic salt, and freshly ground pepper. The avocado's creamy taste is highlighted, and, when paired with freshly-baked tortilla chips, make for the tastiest snack. I don't have specific measurements for the guacamole, only because it really is suited to your preferences. Just sprinkle a bit of this and that until it is to your liking!

Guacamole and Baked Tortilla Chips
Ingredients:
1 pkg (18 count) corn tortillas
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 large avocados, halved, seeded, and peeled
1/4 red onion, minced
1/2 small lime or 1/3 lemon
Garlic Salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Stack your tortillas into groups of 6, and cut each stack into sixths, so that you have chip-sized wedges. Throw wedges into a large bowl. Add extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp sea salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, and 3 tbsp lime (or lemon) juice. Toss until all seasonings are well distributed onto the wedges.
2. Lay tortilla wedges into a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp, or about 10-15 minutes.
3. Slice avocado halves into large (1/3") cubes. Place into a large bowl and toss in red onion and the juice of about 1/3 of a lemon or 1/2 of a lime. Sprinkle with dashes of garlic salt and freshly ground pepper, a little bit at a time until the taste is to your liking. Fold all ingredients gently so that avocado cubes do not get too mashed. Enjoy with freshly baked tortilla chips!

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love avocado, so creamy and additive.

    Your blog is so beautiful, just added to my Google reader.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!