Thursday, January 22, 2015

Salmon poke bowl

salmon poke bowl
Hearsay is that one shouldn't eat sushi while pregnant. Well, I'm doing it anyway. I lasted for about 3 months without sushi when I was pregnant with Serene, then ended up eating it, and continued to do so a few times after that. I can't stomach any seafood during the first trimester, but during the second and third trimesters, sushi's a go for me! Of course, I try to be careful and only order from reputable restaurants or buy fresh sashimi to prepare at home. Like poke. Ever since we had legit poke in Santa Cruz last summer, I've been on a poke kick. Casual poke restaurants have been popping up in our parts since then too. But of course, it is more economical to buy fresh sashimi and prepare poke at home. Toss in rice and some sides, and you've got a tasty meal. I shared a poke recipe on this space before, which uses mainly Hawaiian salt. This poke recipe features soy sauce and is therefore sweeter. I've been preferring this one lately, as I made it with tilapia sashimi here, and then went on to make it with salmon (perhaps my favorite sashimi, along with white tuna). You can definitely switch it up with different kinds of fish though!salmon poke bowl
Salmon Poke Bowl (adapted from here)
Ingredients: 
3/4 lb sashimi grade salmon, cubed
2 tbsp soy sauce (I used reduced sodium)
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup chopped green onion
Furikake seasoning to taste (the one with sesame seeds and seaweed)
Japanese red pepper to taste (optional)
Japanese white rice, cooked
Persian or English cucumber, diced
Avocado, sliced
Roasted seaweed for topping
Chopped green onions for topping

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, combine sashimi cubes, soy sauce, lemon juice, sesame oil, and green onion. Add Furikake seasoning and red pepper to taste (I love Furikake seasoning so I sprinkled it generously and added just a dash of red pepper since I'm not a big fan of spicy food). Mix well. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving.
2. Serve on a bed of warm Japanese white rice with avocado slices and cucumber on the side. Top with roasted seaweed and additional green onions. Enjoy with a side of edamame!

3 comments:

  1. Yum this looks delicious, especially with the veggies on the side! I had no idea it was so eas to make poke at home, definitely going to try this!

    xx freshfizzle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hungry looking at your food picture. I have never bought the raw fish to make homemade sushi before. This dish seems so tempting. There's always good looking sushi grade salmon at the seafood market, I may pull a trigger next time and try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your food posts have looked so great. I am going to try some of your recipes from the post you did recently on your mom's home cooked Chinese food. Thanks for sharing. Love,

    Shauna xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!