Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Fictitious fried chicken
Blustery wintry weather has been yielding a pattern of hearty, comforting meals at our dinner table. The husband has had a hankering for Southern comfort food this season, as evidenced by meals of the past few months: barbecued ribs, seared pork chops, and creamy mac n' cheese. We love comfort food, especially when I can ensure that its made up of way fewer calories and fat content than if we were to eat it at a restaurant. The Mister's been asking for fried chicken lately, and because exceedingly greasy, fried edibles are not welcome in our home, I ended up making fictitious fried chicken one evening with no oil and baked via the oven. It was marvelously yummy, and made our consciences happy. Our sides were simple sauteed veggies and creamed corn. Creamed corn became a family favorite over the holiday season, and I had leftover ingredients for another batch, so it was an insanely tasty complement to the fictitious fried chicken.
Fictitious Fried Chicken with Creamed Corn (oven fried chicken recipe adapted from here)
3 lbs chicken
1/2 cup nonfat milk
4 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup cornmeal
6 tbsp organic breadcrumbs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup whipping cream
1 lb frozen kernel corn
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp fresh Parmesan cheese
1. In a large tupperware container, combine milk, garlic, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Whisk until mixed and sugar is dissolved. Pierce each piece of chicken with a fork several times and cover in marinade. Turn chicken pieces in marinade to coat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal, breadcrumbs, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 2 tbsp Parmesan, 1 tsp lemon zest, and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Mix well.
3. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with a wire rack. Spray rack with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Remove each piece of chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip off. Press into breadcrumb mixture until well coated on both sides. Place on wire rack.
5. Bake until chicken is crisp, about 50-55 minutes.
6. While chicken is baking, make creamed corn, first by combining whipping cream, corn, 1/4 tsp salt, sugar, and 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper in a pot and bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes.
7. Whisk extra virgin olive oil and flour in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until you have a roux. Add to corn, and mix well until corn mixture is thickened and creamy. Remove from heat.
8. Transfer corn mixture to a casserole dish, sprinkle with 3 tbsp fresh Parmesan, and brown under broiler for 5-8 minutes. Enjoy with fictitious fried chicken and sauteed veggies!