Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Our day on a plate

breakfast
Breakfast: breakfast burrito comprising of scrambled eggs, sharp Cheddar, spinach, and avocado in a whole wheat and corn tortilla with pico de gallo and Greek yogurt on the side; cantaloupe.

Alex has been craving breakfast burritos, so we had them a couple of times that week. Serene and I had the breakfast burrito version pictured above, and Alex had one with bacon, without spinach, and topped with light sour cream instead of Greek yogurt. I like to use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream for whenever the occasion calls for it, but Alex is not (yet) convinced it is healthier and tastes the same. We were going to have tacos for dinner so making fresh pico de gallo made sense. All I put in the pico de gallo is chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper, all according to taste. We're not really into spicy foods, so I don't ever really use jalepeƱos or chili peppers.lunch
Lunch: zucchini fritters on a bed of spinach topped with avocado and a Greek yogurt sauce.

Zucchini squash was only 3 lbs/$1 at the local farmers market, so I didn't hesitate to pick some up. It's my second favorite veggie (after spinach), and I recently saw this zucchini fritters recipe that I wanted to try. I pretty much followed it but substituted whole wheat flour for flour in the fritters recipe and Greek yogurt for sour cream in the sauce. They were so yummy; Serene ate quite a few too! We topped them with the Greek yogurt sauce and fresh avocado. We like avocado on everything. Serene will hold out her food and say "peas" (please) to indicate that she wants more "avo" (avocado) on it.
dinner
Dinner: chicken tacos in corn tortillas with spinach, pico de gallo, sharp Cheddar, guacamole, and Greek yogurt; corn on the cob.

We had some church family over to plan an upcoming conference, so I decided to have a taco bar for dinner - easy for me, fun for guests, and tasty and healthy for all. Since I whipped up pico de gallo in the morning, all I had to do was prep and shred the chicken, make guacamole, and put all the other ingredients in bowls for self-serving. Another taco bar ingredient I included was hash browns because we love California-style burritos with hash browns or fries in them (totally not healthy, but so crispy and good!). Those disappeared by the time I took the picture above. Nevertheless, a friend said, "These are the cleanest tacos I've ever eaten." We also had an elote bar; most people love to slather a combination of butter, lime, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and chili powder on their corn on the cob for the Mexican-style street corn, but I like my corn on the cob plain. Now that I look through the food we ate on this day, I realize that we eat meals featuring a lot of recurring ingredients like spinach and avocado. They are frequent purchases during grocery store runs, and I tend to put them in almost everything we eat.

See other foods we eat on a typical day here.

1 comment:

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!