Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Let's talk babywearing

wearing valor at 23 weeks
wearing valor at 23 weeks
wearing valor at 23 weeks
wearing valor at 23 weeks
I'm a big fan of babywearing. I wore Serene ever since she was a newborn, sometimes at home and usually whenever we're out and about. I still do whenever she asks. Ever since Valor's been born, I wear him daily, whether we're at home or out so I can be hands-free to take care of his big sister as well. Babywearing was a convenience with Serene, but is a necessity with Valor. Alex does some babywearing too. Parenthood is more enjoyable for us because of babywearing. We're incredibly thankful for the ability to keep the babies close, safe, and content while simultaneously be hands-free to accomplish other tasks. The babies observe the world, nurse stealthily, and nap soundly while worn. We are physically and emotionally closer as a result. I've gotten a few questions these past few months on the carriers we use, so I thought I'd lay it all out here on this blog post. We use three types of carriers: a ring sling, a wrap, and a soft-structured carrier. They are our most favorite, most-used baby items, with each carrier having its strengths and weaknesses.

1. Ring Sling - A dear friend generously gifted us a Sakura Bloom ring sling for our baby shower when we were pregnant with Serene. This is the carrier I've had the longest - since Serene's birth - and therefore, the one I am most comfortable using. It is made of a single layer of linen that is extremely light and breathable, which I greatly appreciate because we reside in Southern California where the weather is at least 80 degrees for all except two weeks in a year. Popping baby in and out of the ring sling is speedy and efficient, which often makes it my carrier of choice when I'm trying to get in and out of the grocery store as quickly as possible with a toddler in tow as well. Because the sun is pervasive around here, I must ensure baby wears a hat to keep him shaded since the sling leaves his head fully exposed. Also, as baby gets bigger, his weight bears more on one shoulder, restricting some mobility in that arm. I mitigate the pressure by fanning the material out widely along the shoulder and back so that baby's weight is distributed as evenly as possible, with the rings resting not too high or too low, but just right at the armpit. The sling packs well and takes up hardly any space. It is an essential when we're on the go; I just throw it into our diaper backpack. I wear Valor in it all the time, and still wear Serene in it when she asks since it accommodates babies and toddlers up to 35 lbs. It is relatively simple to learn to use at first, but has a steeper learning curve than the wrap when it comes to perfecting the adjustment of fabric into a comfortable carry for both caregiver and baby. Since we've accomplished that with tons of practice, it has become my go-to carrier.

2. Wrap - When we got pregnant with Valor, I started contemplating another type of carrier to try. A friend recommended we use a wrap because of its simplicity that allows for ideal snuggling in the early newborn days. She sent us her Solly Baby wrap to borrow. I started using it once Valor was born. I fell in love with its lightweight, ultra soft, stretchy bamboo linen that keeps baby snug and secure. The shoulder straps supported his newborn head well, and kept him well protected from the sun's rays. Because the wrap envelopes baby around both of my shoulders and entire upper body, weight is more evenly distributed in it than in a sling, which is a relief. However, wrapping the material around myself before putting baby in takes longer than I am accustomed to with a sling. I seem to use the wrap more often at home rather than in public for this reason. Once baby is in the wrap, he is wrapped in essentially three layers of material, which gets a little hot in the summer months. I used the wrap more often in the first couple of months when Valor was teeny and the late spring weather allowed us to be comfortable, but not as much once the scorching summer heat took over. I look forward to using the wrap more often when the weather finally cools, hopefully by November and until Valor reaches the 25 lb. weight limit. It folds up flat though not as compact as the sling in the diaper bag because of the extra material. It has a bit of a learning curve, but is totally manageable with just a bit of practice. There is less to adjust with the wrap once it's on than with the sling. Nevertheless, I'm thoroughly smitten by the Solly wrap (as seen in the photos above), and hope to get one my own someday. I'm pining after this one.

3. Soft-Structured Carrier - When Serene was seven months, family friends handed down a soft-structured carrier for Alex to wear Serene. When we take weekly walks to visit our neighbors, we wear Serene, and now Valor. Alex was adamant about not using the sling with Serene (although he caved and used it with Valor in his early months). He enjoyed the soft-structured carrier we were given, but was not fond of the lackluster back support. We saved some monetary gifts before Valor was born to get an Ergo 360. He started wearing Serene in it, who was about 18 months at the time, while we awaited Valor's arrival. He loves the ability to wear her in a back, side, or forward carry. Ever since Valor reached the 15 lb. weight minimum, Alex wears him in the Ergo 360 as well. He can wear the babies for long stretches of time due to its comfortable, ergonomic back support. However, it is relatively bulky compared to the wrap or sling. I don't use the Ergo because of its bulkiness; I prefer the sling or wrap. Alex deems the carrier a necessity though. He appreciates the low learning curve, the easily adjustable straps, and that it goes on and off like a backpack. He wears both Valor and Serene comfortably in it, and will until they each weigh 33 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!