Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Letters to Verity: 1 month


My dear Verity Heart,

This has been the fastest whirlwind of a month because you spent your first 11 days of life in the NICU and your first weeks home fell amid Christmas and New Year gatherings. However, you've taken center stage of our affections since you've been born. I'm treasuring up these moments with you in my heart, because I know they'll go by so quickly. May these monthly letters for the first year of your life serve as a record of not only your milestones, but also as tangible evidence of how loved you are.

Oh, my littlest baby, I love you so. The day of your birth may have caught me by surprise, but your life is cherished beyond articulation. You are the sweetest gift. Because you had to spend time in the NICU, I do not take your time home with us for granted. I'm snuggling you as much as possible, which you love and express with content newborn grunts. You also grunt happily when I rub your back as you nurse with your legs sticking straight out, which is a welcome opportunity for me to tickle the soles of your teeny feet. You nurse on average every three hours, though during your third week of life, you went through a growth spurt and nursed a bit more often at night. Your lips randomly curl into an endearing smile while eating, which is the cutest. You happily take a bottle once a day, which is so helpful in our family's daily rhythm.

If you don't like something, you scream to let us know. You have a high-pitched cry and a nice set of lungs. In addition to crying when you're hungry, you also don't like having a dirty diaper or boogers. You're also not sure about baths at times. Thankfully, you're quickly comforted when we hold you, and sometimes with a pacifier.

When it comes to sleep, you prefer to sleep on your back with your face to the left, usually with your mouth slightly open and your hands up by your face. However, you also enjoy being swaddled, the first of our babies to do so. You'll sleep in the Moses basket, lounger, or cradle swaddled. During your growth spurt, you needed extra cuddles at night, which I haven't minded because I already anticipate the impending grief that comes with knowing you're our last baby. Therefore, I'm soaking up all the cuddles, even if it comes at the price of sleep.

Time goes too quickly, for within a month, you've gained a pound. You currently weigh 6 lbs and measure 18 3/4 inches long. You wore premie diapers and clothing for the first 3 weeks of life, graduating to newborn diapers and clothing at 4 weeks. You were swimming in newborn clothing during the first few weeks and it boggles my mind that you're filling into them now. Still, I love your littleness - your teeny hands and feet, your froggy legs, your wide-mouthed yawns, your silky soft head full of hair, and your newborn sleepiness.

Your parents and siblings adore you so. You are the most asked for person in our family these days. Your big sisters and brother run to hug you and smother you with kisses every chance they get. I shall cherish watching you grow, my littlest babe. I can't wait to see the person our gracious God has created you to be.  May you grow knowing His character and His ways, that you are incomparably loved in Christ Jesus our Lord.


Love you so,
Mama

P.S. Verity at 0 months and her birth story.

1 comment:

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!