Monday, December 15, 2014

Looking back at the first trimester

littler love at 13 weeks and 3 days
Friday, November 21, 2014

Praise God the first trimester is over! Let's be honest: I am beyond blessed to have a teeny human being growing inside of me, but I am not one of those women who love being pregnant. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I dread the fluctuating hormones, the persistent hunger, the overwhelming fatigue, and the ever-growing belly. Going through the the first trimester again this time around reminds me how it wages war against my body and emotions, and my flesh almost always wins. Our littler love's first trimester symptoms were similar to Serene Joy's, except the fatigue and nausea hit even more forcefully this time around. When I was pregnant with Serene, I could usually rest after work at my own whim. This time around, I had a rambunctious one-year-old to chase after, thereby causing my body to wage war against my will. I spent much of the first 3 months throwing up, feeling queasy all day, and not being able to get up from bed. So thankful for my attentive husband who helped out with Serene so that I could rest. He overcompensated for all the ways I fell short during that season. I had a case of baby blues too, coupled with mild depression over weaning woes. Even though I knew this was but an ephemeral phase, a momentary affliction, I was immersed in a despondent, foggy, hormonal haze that prevented me from wanting to do anything.

When we went in for our first trimester ultrasound on Friday, November 21, all of that subsided. As we saw our littler love moving calmly across the screen, the sheer wonder of a wee human creature being fearfully and wonderfully made overwhelmed me to tears for the second time around. Our littler love kept choosing to burrow his/her head into my right pelvic area. Which explains the dull ache in that area for the past couple of weeks! Alex and I couldn't stop grinning as we listened to the little heartbeat. Even Serene seemed fascinated (probably more by all the fancy equipment in the room). They found me measuring 13 weeks and 3 days that day, putting our littler love to be due May 26, 2015. I feel like time is flying by, and our littler love will be here before we know it!

1 comment:

  1. So happy for you. I'm glad the worst is over. We have been helping some family friends out a ton because she's pregnant as well and so sick that she keeps nothing down. So about every three days she has to go in for an IV it's the only way. We had their kids last night into the wee hours. They have two others. I'm so glad that as you move along it gets better. My friend who sick says she usually gets better with time too, thank goodness for them as well.

    Knowing that these times are of the past for us, it's so nostalgic to look at this. I have a drawer full of these pictures having been pregnant seven times. And William wasn't much bigger than this when he was born. Amazing. Much love to you Helen,

    Shauna xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!