Friday, October 31, 2014

In Wonderland

halloween 2014
halloween 2014
halloween 2014
halloween 2014
halloween 2014
halloween 2014
halloween 2014
halloween 2014
Happy Halloween from Alice in Wonderland and her jolly entourage, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum! Ever since we started taking Serene to Disneyland, I've been more inclined toward Disney-inspired costumes. Actually, I was a smidgen conflicted because I had been brainstorming since May that we'd dress as Tom, Sybil, and baby Sybbie Branson from Downton Abbey, since Alex and I are huge fans of the show. But we scratched the idea when we realized we'd likely be unrecognizable to the normal human eye. If we had gone through with the Downton Abbey costumes, we'd be explaining to everyone who we were, as we did during our very first Halloween as married folks. So, to Wonderland we went this year, which I think works out just as swell.

I used this image for inspiration, and we went with a mustard, burgundy, and royal blue color scheme for our Tweedle costumes, rather than the cartoony yellow, red, and blue. We had almost everything in our closets already, except for a mustard pullover for Alex, which we bought. To complete our costumes, I made giant bowties out of felt, and sewed propeller hats out of triangles of burgundy felt. I left a small hole in the center of each hat so I could glue a stick on it, and finished each hat by sewing a mustard flag onto the top. Alex kept saying he needed a haircut, but I think his longish hair suits his character pretty precisely. 

Serene's Alice costume comprises of a powder blue vintage dress she already has (as seen when we made the gender announcement, and in our most recent family photos), white tights, black leather Mary Janes, a black floral headband, and an apron I sewed from white cotton. All in all, a relatively low-effort family costume-creating ordeal. I made giant crepe paper flowers for Serene's first birthday bash, but forgot to use them the day of, so into our Halloween pictures they went. I thought they looked pretty Wonderland-ish. In any case, the little love fancied them during the picture-taking, so much so that she crawled about in the muddy grass to grab them. Serene snoozed throughout our trick-or-treat escapade last year, so we're looking forward to toting her alert and curious self around this year. Hope you all have a lovely time tonight! 

See our past Halloween costumes:
Halloween 2013: The sailor man with a spinach can and his fam
Halloween 2012: I dreamed a dream of time gone by

4 comments:

  1. your family is so adorable and cute!! i'm totally smitten by serene's cuteness!! and the bows too.
    happy halloween..

    xo josephine c.
    www.joselovincolors.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it Helen!!! Family theme costumers unite!!! You all look great! I love her costume. I made the two little girl costumes this year and for me the hardest thing was cutting out the pattern, it's like a language in and of itself. Everything looks great. I love your blog. Love,

    Shauna xooxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. very creative Helen! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for taking time to comment. We truly appreciate each and every one!